18 December 2021

UChicago - Still the Nerd Capitol of the Midwest

I thought I was a good chess player, until I got to UChicago. Collegiate Chess League: A Wonderful Finish - Chess.com

I love the commentary about chess, almost makes me believe that it is a sport.

The Division 1 semifinals were set with the top four teams from the regular season all making it to the Final Four. The number-one seed and undefeated UC Berkeley team would be playing against the number-four seed UChicago, who just came off their win against the defending champions Mizzou in the quarterfinals. Berkeley beat Chicago previously back in week three of the regular season by a score of 10-5, but the Chicago team at the time was missing their top board GM Awonder Liang. With the season on the line as well as a guaranteed $2,500 with a win in the semifinals, UChicago made sure to bring their full strength lineup, and their star player Awonder showed up big with a 4-0 sweep of the California team. His performance helped them earn a spot in the finals by beating UC Berkeley with a score of 9.5-6.5.

UChicago came in first in Division 1, followed by UWarsaw, Yale, and UCBerkley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.