11 October 2026

Massad Ayoob on When to Shoot in Self-Defense

People in the gun community know Massad Ayoob. Others may not. He was a police officer, he has written several books on defense, and he has been an expert witness in various cases. I'm not sure how I first ran across his writing, but it was probably the work he does with Backwoods Home Magazine.

This is The Wilson Combat video Critical Mas: When to Fire in a Self Defense Situation.

If you act to the standard by which you'll be judged, you should not be found wanting in the judgment.

The video is three and a half minutes.

He is a former police officer, and that colors his answer a bit. I think in some locations, drawing a weapon, as a civilian, before you are 100% sure you need to use it might be considered "brandishing." Anyway, I like Massad Ayoob, and his advice generally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.