09 October 2026

From Owning More Long Guns, To Owning More Handguns

Professor Yamane is tracking an interesting change in American Gun Culture. Handgunization

For chapter 3 of my book-in-progress on Gun Culture 2.0, I’ve been exploring the guns and gear central to defensive gun culture in general and concealed carry in particular. This work led me to examine a striking 50-year transformation, what I call the “handgunization” of American firearms.

Imagine walking into a typical gun-owning American household in 1973. If you opened the gun cabinet, you’d likely find a wood-stocked hunting rifle or shotgun. Handguns were less common. Since then, there has been what I call a “handgunization” of American firearms.

Charts and graphs, surveys and data, and all the stuff that I love. Click thru.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.