09 October 2026

Friday Links - 9 October

A somewhat abreviated links post this week. Life occasionally demands my attention.

We start off with Light Over Heat with Professor David Yamane and Are Guns Tools or Weapons? Yes.

After some conversation, I tried to take the position with my students that guns are both tools and weapons simultaneously. This mirrors my position that “guns are not one thing, but many—and paradoxical at that.”

William Teach at Pirate's Cove - Huh: McDonald’s Sued Over AI Pricing

Realistically, dynamic pricing for a McDonald’s store, which are franchises, not company owned, can be done without AI, and is something that was done beforehand without AI by the main company

Warner Todd Huston at Chicago Contrarian - Juliana Stratton Hides Behind a Fig Leaf

Democrat U.S. Senate candidate Juliana Stratton is hiding in her basement and refusing to debate Republican nominee Don Tracy as the pair vie to replace outgoing Senator Dick Durbin this year.

The Other McCain - ‘A Reliable Barometer of Wrongness’

How many years have I been mocking Amanda Marcotte? Many, many years. Nearly two decades. She got mentioned in the very first National Offend a Feminist Week announcement back in May 2009, by which time I’d been mocking her regularly for more than a year. It’s been a while since I was compelled to pay attention to her, but then Dana Pico reminded me of her existence.

Pixy Misa at Ambient Irony - Daily News Stuff 6 October 2026: Fih Edition

AI is junk food for the mind: Easy, tempting, and ultimately very bad for you. (The Verge) (archive site)

This is the ultimate demarcation dispute for journalists as they see that precise niche being carved out from under them by Chinese clankers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.