29 September 2026

The Chicago Tylenol Murders

A history lesson from 90 Miles From Tyranny. September 29, 1982: The Chicago Tylenol Murders Begin

A 12-year-old girl named Mary Kellerman dies in the suburbs of Chicago after taking an Extra-Strength Tylenol, becoming the first of six people in the area to soon turn up dead after taking that same medication. Investigators later found cyanide in the capsules.

No one was ever convicted of these crimes.

I have seen this reenacted on at least one procedural, cop show. Except Hollywood, in the times before MeToo and COVID, loved a happy ending, which meant the bad guy being brought to justice of some kind.

Click thru for more history.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met and worked with the people that designed the packaging. It created a new division to ensure the safety of the products and they tend to error on the side of it being absolutely safe, though they know nothing is perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that they had a nearly impossible task - make packaging safe. It can still be annoying when I want to open a bottle of aspirin, or whatever

      Delete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.