Calling 911 is a fine thing to do. They can send all kinds of help to you, but even if the system works as designed, help will not arrive instantly. NYPD, FDNY emergency response times getting slower — as NYC police overtime slashed, report shows
The NYPD’s end-to-end response times for crimes in progress rose to an average of 15 minutes and 21 seconds during the 2026 fiscal year, the report found.
The lethargic overall responses by New York’s Finest came as Mamdani nixed adding 580 cops to the force’s ranks – and despite crime-in-progress calls falling by tens of thousands, the data shows.
FDNY's response time to medical emergencies went from 10 minutes, 21 seconds during the previous fiscal year to 11 minutes, 55 seconds in the fiscal year just ended.
Ambulance response times increased from 11 minutes, 21 seconds to 13 minutes, 9 seconds.
The FDNY response to structure fires stood at about 5 minutes, which has held constant for 4 years.
The Mayor is all in on reporting that crime is down, year-over-year, but I would be interested to know what are the crime rates as compared to 10 years ago, or more. I don't have access to that sort of info for NYC. I'm sure it is available, I just don't know where to get it easily.
15 minutes is a long time to wait for police, and 10 minutes is a long time to wait if someone is having a medical emergency. You should have a plan B, aside for "Call 911 and wait." This should at the very least include CPR and first aid. You might want to consider other options as well. Those times listed are averages. (Probably mean time, but the articles I looked at didn't say.) Some people will wait longer. Some people will get help sooner.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.
Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.