03 October 2026

Fire and Rain

I was reminded of this song when I was searching for something else. I have known this song since it was released, as it was on the radio quite a bit, back in the day. I had not heard it, or even thought about it many years.

The lyrics refer to a childhood friend of James Taylor, Suzanne Schnerr, who ended her own life. They did not tell him for 6 months, because he was recording his first album, and his family and/or friends didn't want to distract him. The lyrics also reference his first band, the Flying Machine, failing to take off, and the depression that caused.

This song is "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor from his 1970 album Sweet Baby James.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.