06 October 2024

The Gig Economy Meets the Breakdown of Law & Order in Blue Cities

Or at least in Chicago. From WGN we get the following. Robbers exploit delivery, rideshare services to target drivers in Garfield Park thefts

On Wednesday, CPD issued a community alert concerning several incidents in which a group of 2-4 males made use of food delivery and rideshare services to lure victims to their location.

In these incidents, the males rob the driver of their personal belongings, their vehicle, or both.

I don't know the policy at the food delivery apps, like Door Dash, but I know that in the not too distant past, both Uber and Lyft instituted policies where drivers were forbidden to be armed. The upshot is if one ever defends himself, he is barred from the app, and loses his gig income. I don't doubt that Door Dash et al have similar policies. Most of the large pizza companies insist that their drivers be disarmed as well. Aside from making them easier to rob, I'm not really sure what the reasoning is

Now the good news, if there is any good news in Chicago, the reported incidents are limited to one neighborhood. Once rideshare and delivery drivers refuse to go into that neighborhood, I expect the powers that be to lament "rideshare deserts," or something.

No arrests have been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.