05 April 2024

With Friends Like This...

When a life means less than $35, we have failed as a civilization. Georgia Man Sentenced to Life for Shooting Longtime Friend Over $35; Victim’s Stepdaughter’s Video Discredited Shooter’s Self-Defense Claim

I can't imagine shooting someone over a debt of any size, but I certainly can't imagine why $35 would be seen as worthwhile for something like this.

[Ricky Carter of Atlanta] was sentenced to life plus an additional five years in prison for the killing of 48-year-old Quinlan Parker on January 28, 2022. Officials said they found the victim with one bullet wound to the chest at an apartment complex in unincorporated DeKalb County, a suburb of Atlanta.

There was cellphone video of the incident, so his claim of self-defense was moot. His victim was backing away, and clearly not a threat.

I often have "discussions" with people on this blog about how stupid I think it is to risk your life because someone is breaking into your car, or stealing your car. Are you going to shoot someone over your car, or because of the stuff in your car? How is that any different, aside from a few dollars, from shooting someone over 35 bucks? I'm sure there is a difference, I just can't see it clearly right now.

Western civilization was nice while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.