03 April 2024

Did You Think Your Facebook Messages Were Private?

Why would you think such a thing, you sweet summer child? Facebook let Netflix see user DMs to help them tailor content as part of a close collaboration between the two tech giants, new court documents claims | Daily Mail Online

If you use F*c*book, you don't pay for that service. That is because YOU, or more precisely your activities online, are the product being sold.

Lawyers alleged that 'within a month' of [Netflix's co-founder Reed] Hastings joining Facebook's board of directors, the two companies signed an 'Inbox API' (Application Programming Interface) agreement that 'allowed Netflix programmatic access to Facebook's user's private message inboxes.'

There is more about Cambridge Analytica, fines levied by Ireland and other political entities.

If I'm not using Signal, I assume that my messages are not private, and even Signal is subject to issues if my phone is hacked. But protests to the contrary, if you're not using Signal, I wouldn't count on your messages staying private.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.