20 September 2023

"I will make this speech or die!"

A History Lesson from Professor David Yamane. Travels with Sandy: In Search of America’s Gun Cultures at Theodore Roosevelt National Park

This is a much belated post from my summer’s Travels with Sandy in Search of America’s Gun Cultures.

This has been a fascinating series, but then I love history.

The quote that forms the title to this post is from Teddy Roosevelt.

Roosevelt knew something of gun violence as well. Of course, he became president in 1901 after the assassination of William McKinley. But the museum also displayed a shirt Roosevelt was wearing when he was shot by an assailant with a Colt revolver before giving a speech at the Milwaukee Auditorium in October 1912. “It takes more than that to kill a bull moose,” Roosevelt told the assembled crowd. He finished the speech and did not die.

Photos. More details. Click thru.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.