08 March 2023

Guitar Man

While I had a few minutes, waiting for a podcast I like to start, I watched a short documentary on Jerry Reed, the Country & Western guitar player. It was an interesting documentary and it sent me looking for today's song.

It was one of a couple of songs by Reed that would go on to be recorded by Elvis. Reed played guitar on the Elvis version too, and it became a major hit. It was in one of the Elvis movies.

This song is "Guitar Man" by Jerry Reed from the 1967 album The Unbelievable Guitar and Voice of Jerry Reed.

After the break is the River Docs Documentary Jerry Reed-Guitar Man- Song Writer-Actor. It is 13 minutes long, and covers an amazing amount of ground in that time. I think you might enjoy it as much as I did.

 

As for Jerry Reed's acting career, everyone knows his role in Smokey and the Bandit and probably know he was in Adam Sandler's The Waterboy. The documentary mentioned a movie Reed was in that I had all but forgotten about, the 1988 movie Bat 21. It is an interesting character study set against the conflict in Vietnam that stars Gene Hackman and Danny Glover. It has just enough action to keep it interesting. If you haven't seen it, well it is better than 99.8% of the drek produced by Hollywood in the past 4 years. I can recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.