18 September 2022

A College Student Shoots a Gun for the First Time

From Professor David Yamane's Sociology of Guns Seminar: “You Might Be The Last Person I Would Ever Expect to Do That” (Fall 2022 Student Range Visit Reflection #1)

The Professor takes his college class to a local gun range, and offers them a chance to fire 3 firearms: a .22 pistol, a 9mm pistol, and an AR-15-style rifle. All the students go to the range, though they do not all fire the firearms.

Some of the students give the professor permission to publish their "after action reports." They are always interesting. (Actually most of the stuff on Professor Yamane's blogs is interesting; you should be reading it.) This is the first such report.

Before going on this trip, I mentioned it to a few of my friends and family. Most of them either didn’t believe me or thought I was joking. When I told them it was true and I was really going to a shooting range, I got a nearly identical response across the board; “You might be the last person I would ever expect to do that.”

While she didn't go from being a gun-control absolutist to being a defender of the 2nd Amendment. Her essay is interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.