19 February 2022

Tom Sawyer

A Rush song for your Saturday morning.

I think I have mentioned before that there is an entire corner of YouTube that is comprised of "reaction videos." Millenials, and Gen Z mostly, though some Gen Xers listen to music that they should have heard. A lot of it is trash, but some of the reactions are from professional musicians, who I still think should have heard these songs, or at least of the groups. Rush is one of the bands that people have not heard, or even heard of. A common theme is, "That is not what I expected." Tempo changes. Shifting time signatures. Real song writing, including complicated lyrics and breaks. Intros and codas. You know, all the stuff that has been absent from popular music in the past 15 or 20 years.

It is hard for me to believe that this song is more than 41 years old. The album was released 12 February 1981. (Do you feel old?)

This song is "Tom Sawyer" by Rush from the 1981 album Moving Pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.