10 May 2021

People Do Value Privacy

I'm a bit shocked. 96% of US users opt out of app tracking in iOS 14.5, analytics find | Ars Technica

This is perhaps the first good news on the subject of privacy I've seen in a very long time.

When Apple released iOS 14.5 late last month, it began enforcing a policy called App Tracking Transparency. iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV apps are now required to request users' permission to use techniques like IDFA (ID for Advertisers) to track those users' activity across multiple apps for data collection and ad targeting purposes.

The change met fierce resistance from companies like Facebook, whose market advantages and revenue streams are built on leveraging users' data to target the most effective ads at those users.

There was an ad campaign to convince people to opt in, and F*c*book, in the person of Zuckerberg, claimed it would "destroy small businesses around the world." Hyprbole anyone?

Personally I can't think of anything that would convince me to "opt in," and I spend a fair amount of time opting out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.