Jeff Asher at Jeff-alytics When Will The US Murder Rate Catch European Rates?
The good news is good.
The US had the largest one-year drop in murder ever recorded in 2025. That followed the largest one-year drop in murder ever recorded in 2024. That followed the largest one-year drop in murder ever recorded in 2023.
The not-exactly-bad news.
As I frequently note about this dichotomy, it is both far too many murders as well as an extraordinary trend that should be celebrated.
Then on the subject of comparing across countries.
Comparing crime across US cities can be difficult, and comparing crime between countries can be downright impossible. Definitions differ between countries and differently trained law enforcement officers in different countries can record similar crimes differently.
Murder is more or less an exception to the challenge of comparing between countries, especially with respect to the US and Europe.
Click thru for the whole thing. I have not listened to the podcast... over the weekend, maybe.
Hat tip Open Source Defense and OSD 392: Guns and murder are surprisingly uncorrelated, which is an interesting read in its own right.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.
Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.