09 September 2026

Sing, Sing, Sing

More insomnia means more late-night/early-morning video watching. One of the things I am continuously amazed by, is how little people know about music that was popular before they were in high school. It doesn't surprise me that the average kid today, or most Zoomers, and Millennials, know nothing of the Big Band era of music. But when a drummer or a drum critic doesn't know who Gene Krupa was that is just plain sad. (But then I ran across a video by one drummer who didn't know who Neil Pert was.)

Purportedly the first sticksman to use a bass drum on a recording session, big-band swing meister Gene Krupa can claim to have influenced the format of the modern drum kit. He was also instrumental in establishing the popularity of cymbals and tom-toms. Renowned for his explosive “drum battles” with Buddy Rich. [Ref. 50 Best Jazz Drummers Of All Time.]

And no, they don't know who Buddy Rich was either. (I think there are some problems with that list, but they do seem to cover everyone, and more importantly, they say why Krupa was important.)

The use of bass drum, high hat, floor toms, in addition to a snare, with drums as an integral part of the band, actually contributing to the overall feel of the song marked a change in music. That pretty much started with Big Band and Swing. And today's song, and Gene Krupa, played a major role in that.

This is "Sing, Sing, Sing (With a Swing)" by the Benny Goodman Orchestra. It is from a recording that features Gene Krupa on drums. (I think it is a 1955 recording, but I'm not sure of that.) It is probably the song that made Kruppa the star that he would go on to be.

And yes, I have featured "Sing, Sing, Sing" in the past, but that was a Louis Prima Orchestra version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.