It didn't end well for the people depending on Google Maps. A group of teen hikers relied on Google Maps. It was a disaster.
This story is from Canada, but similar things have happened in America.
A teen hiking group trusted Google Maps on a B.C. alpine trail. It ended in a helicopter rescue.
I don't know what the Canadian equivalent of a US Geological Survey Topographical Map might be, but I am sure they exist. If you're in Canada you should invest in some. If you're in the US use USGS Topo map. Not Google Maps, not Apple Maps, not Open Maps. A mapping system that understands topographical detail. And you might want to check on where flash flooding is an issue if you're in the US Southwest.
When a group of teenagers set out to hike British Columbia’s famed Howe Sound Crest Trail in early July, Google Maps suggested the trek would take about five hours.
Instead, the hike stretched deep into the night, leaving the group exhausted, dehydrated, injured and in need of a helicopter rescue.
This is the part where relying on Google Maps (just because you found it on the internet, doesn't mean it is true) which isn't really a good source.
The Howe Sound Crest Trail is one of British Columbia’s most iconic alpine trails, following a rugged ridgeline overlooking Howe Sound just north of Vancouver. Although the approximately 18-mile route with a 6,000-foot elevation gain can be completed by experienced trail runners in a day, search and rescue officials generally recommend hikers treat it as a two-day backpacking trip.
Click thru for the rest of the details. (Hat tip to Pixy Misa at Ambient Irony) Was this a Darwin Award near miss? Maybe not.
The last time I read a story like this, was in March of last year. Darwin Award Near Miss Times 2. Two groups, making the same mistake, in the same place in Utah, in January and February of 2025.
You can download USGS Topographical Maps online for free. If you want paper maps, there is a cost, which I have not been able to pin down. (It varies by map.) I doubt the cost of paper maps is prohibitive. Paper is always a good backup, since you don't need power, battery, internet, anything except light. But you can certainly do planning while connected to the internet.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.
Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.