Because if you're going to break the immigration laws, you might be breaking other laws. Illegal NY Harbor boat tour operator charged after deadly capsize | Fox News
This is a story that I saw last week, but I didn't really follow it. Boating is more dangerous than a lot of people believe, especially in a crowded harbor.
A New Jersey man accused of running illegal boat tours allegedly ignored multiple safety warnings before an overcrowded New York Harbor excursion turned deadly, killing a 5-month-old baby and her 27-year-old mother.
Manuel Hernandez, 46, of Manville, was charged Monday with two counts of misconduct and neglect of a ship officer resulting in death after the Yamaha AR210 he was piloting capsized Saturday night [August 8th].
I have the work captain in quotes in the title to this post, because that is a license that Mr. Hernandez does not hold. You have to have a Captain's License to carry passengers, and you have to have on-the-water experience to get that license. Getting a what is known as the 12 pack isn't too hard, that would let you carry 12 passengers, assuming that your boat can hold that many. To carry 14 passengers you need (I think) a Master's License, which is not easy to get. And in any event, the boat in question had a maximum capacity of 10 people. He also was not carrying the required safety gear.
But then I saw a bit on Social Media, that sent me looking for additional information. ICE arrests N.J. man who operated alleged illegal tour boat that capsized killing a mother, daughter
The Department of Homeland Security claimed that Hernandez entered the United States from El Salvador and is in the country unlawfully. He was arrested by immigration authorities after an investigation by the Coast Guard Investigative Service confirmed Hernandez's unlawful presence in the United States, according to the department.
I'm shocked that someone in the country illegally would be doing other illegal stuff. OK, so no one is shocked.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.
Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.