18 August 2026

Tuesday Links - 18 August

Wendy Laubach at Chicago Boyz starts us off with The un-scholarships

In 2011 Peter Thiel started the Thiel Fellowship program to award several hundred thousand dollars apiece and mentorship access to extraordinary individuals willing to skip college or drop out by age 22.

Take It Outside by Alice Jones Webb - The Softest Hands in Edgecombe County

You can learn a lot about a person by their reaction to being handed a “bear grease brownie.”

Matt E. at The Firearm Blog - Concealed Carry Corner: Realities of Self-Defense

This week, I wanted to look at some of the realities of self-defense and how it starts to change your behavior over time.

Pixy Misa at Ambient Irony - Daily News Stuff 15 August 2026: Twenty Essential Classical Elements Edition

Who are you and what have you done with France? France's Constitutional Council has found the French government's plan to block social media access to children under 15 unconstitutional for the burden it would place on everyone over the age of 15. (Reuters)

Cedar Sanderson - Competence Porn

Competence does not mean perfect. We should all like competent heroes. Take Miles Vorkosigan for instance. He was competent, but far from perfect.

William Teach at Pirate's Cove - Judge Rules TPS For Somalis Can Be Ended

I’m still not sure why this is so difficult, being that the 18 month renewal period had already ended, and the Supreme Court basically said that the Executive Branch has control, not the courts, but, whatever

Meep at STUMP - The Week in Meep: Capybaras, Falls, Liars, and Chocolate!

I was with my kids (all early 20s) and my parents (NOT early 20s) in the Poconos. I love being in the Appalachians, and these are very close to where I live. We always find something different to do each time we go there.

Wombat-socho - FMJRA 2.0: Another Rough Start

After a horrendous wipeout at Fenway, the Senators bounced back and took two out of three from the Royals at Metropolitan Stadium

Granite Grok - MACDONALD: Impotent Anti-ICE Protests in Keene

There have been weekly protests around the Monadnock region in opposition to ICE enforcing federal law, and no one seems to have asked them about “no one being above the law”?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.