This incident might be more about "reasonable doubt." DA declines charges in deadly Clovis shooting after citing self-defense claim
According to the Clovis Police Department, officers responded at about 11:06 p.m. to a report of a vehicle that had crashed into a home near 14th and Hull streets. When officers arrived, they found a white SUV and [28-year-old Abel] Abeyta suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.
He did not survive his injuries.
Prosecutors determined the available evidence, including surveillance video, was insufficient to overcome a claim of self-defense, meaning the case did not meet the legal standard required for criminal prosecution.
Clovis, New Mexico is close to the Texas state-line. It is about a 100 mile drive northwest of Lubbock, Texas, about a 100 mile drive southwest of Amarillo, Texas, or about a 220 mile drive east of Albuquerque, New Mexico.
While I don't like stories with indeterminate outcomes, I do believe in "Proved Guilty beyond a reasonable doubt." There was reasonable doubt.
To be clear, this might be unequivocally self-defense. We are given almost no information about the evidence, which includes some video evidence, regarding this incident.
Self-defense is a human right.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.
Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.