06 May 2024

It Is Hard to Be Upset at the Demise of Meta

Or F*c*book, as I usually call it. Facebook’s AI Spam Isn’t the ‘Dead Internet’: It’s the Zombie Internet

AI has destroyed F*c*book? I'm so sad.

Over the last few months, many have proposed that the AI spam taking over Facebook is a great example of the “Dead Internet Theory,” which posits that large portions of the internet are made up of bots talking to bots, filtered through the lens of recommendation and engagement algorithms. Facebook is undeniably cooked, a decaying, depressing hall of horrors full of viral AI-generated content that seemingly gets worse every day.

But I do not think Facebook is the dead internet. Instead, I think it is something worse. Facebook is the zombie internet, where a mix of bots, humans, and accounts that were once humans but aren’t anymore mix together to form a disastrous website where there is little social connection at all.

But then I never thought giving so much power to one company was a good idea. I really do hope this is a case of The Mighty Have Fallen.

You have to subscribe to 404 Media to see the entire article, but who cares. Now I doubt that F*c*book will die in the short run, but if the AI gets worse, people will decide that it doesn't matter anymore.

After watching F*c*book (and other Social Media platforms) cancel so many people because of "the wrong opinion", it would be good to see them get canceled. (Hat tip to Tam at View from the Porch: The Zombie Internet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.