02 February 2024

Friday Links - 2 February

Professor David Yamane at Gun Culture 2.0 starts us off with The Paradox of Guns

In my “Light Over Heat” video this week (see also below), I express appreciation for and also highlight questions I have about an essay by Brown University anthropologist Ieva Jusionyte* that was published recently in the Boston Globe. The essay was titled, “Living with a gun” and the URL says “Why I bought a gun.”

Tam at View from the Porch - Can I get an "amen"?

To be knee-deep in the Very Online kulturkampf these days is to drink from a firehose of negativity and panic and anger, because that's what gets the clicks and the donations and the virality.

Meep at Stump - The Sentinel Effect, Centenarians, and Pension Fraud

I cover how some people live to a grand old age — by lying about it! And why do they do that? For the money, of course!

Pixy Misa at Ambient Irony - Daily News Stuff 31 January 2024: Faily News Stuff Edition

Good news: ChatGPT is not leaking private chat content between users.

Bad news: Your account got hacked. (Ars Technica)

ChatGPT has no option for two-factor authentication.

But if you're sharing confidential information with a chat bot you're an idiot in the first place.

The Other McCain - CNN: The Stupidity Caucus

The late George Carlin used to say, you know how stupid the average guy is? Well, half the people are dumber than that. This crossed my mind because CNN — I watch CNN so you don’t have to — was hyping up this Quinnipiac University poll claiming that (a) Biden is leading Trump 50% to 44%, and (b) Nikki Haley would beat Biden, 47% to 42%.

The Post Millennial - NEW: 150 House Dems vote AGAINST bill to deport illegal immigrants caught driving under the influence

In a vote on the House floor on Wednesday, 150 Democrats voted against passing a bill that would deport illegal immigrants caught driving under the influence.

274 House members voted to pass the bill, including 215 Republicans and 59 Democrats.

The Ultimate Answer to Kings - I hate SHOT Show.

It’s been more than half a week since it closed and my video feed is still filled with “The Ten Greatest Shotguns of 2024!!!” or “The Greatest Plastic Striker-Fired 9mm (that’s just like all the other plastic striker-fired 9mms) Ever!!!” or “All the overpriced red dots you can’t afford to show up at the range without!!!”

Again from The Other McCain - ‘Right-Wing Conspiracy Theories’

For example, I think Texas would be entirely justified in seceding from the Union. I don’t believe in Keynesian economics or “climate change.” Heck, I don’t believe in Darwinian evolution. Or the designated hitter, for that matter. Despite my “fringe” beliefs, however, I have never been accused of advocating (checks notes) decapitating your father

HeyJackass! rounds out the post with January Wrap-up, covering crime in Chicago.

A string of frigid, sub-zero days helped keep a lid on the nonsense for part of the month while solving the age-old issues of Middle East peace and climate change handled the rest via transference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.