26 July 2023

Jeenge

Spotify has decided to raise the rent, or at least to increase what it costs to use their premium service. I haven't been all that happy with Spotify of late, though I don't hate them, and they seem to have been working to fix the things I find most disturbing. I'm not sure things are fixed, but they do seem somewhat better.

So I went looking for alternatives. The first place I looked was Tidal. One of my friends recommended it. It has higher quality music, if you pay for their ultra-premium service (or whatever they call it), and I have been told they pay artists better than Spotify does. I don't know if that is true or not, but it would be tough to pay artists LESS than Spotify does.

Anyway, I was testing out their "create a radio station based on an artist" feature, and this song was suggested by way of their Buckethead Radio playlist. The two guys behind Infected Mushroom are described in a couple of places as pioneers of Psytrance. I like it.

This song is "Jeenge" by Infected Mushroom from their 2003 album Converting Vegetarians.

As I type this, it is too early to say what will become of Tidal. Their "free option" is a 30 day trial. It contains ads, but there is no long-term ad-supported version as there is for Pandora. And the free trial is also so severly limited that it is difficult for me to decide if their music catalog and their algorithms are something I can live with or not. Still I found new (to me) music that I like in about the 1st hour of listening, so that's something.

2 comments:

  1. Huh, not your usual recommendation... but I liked it. I'm a big fan of Jean Michel Jarre' though too, and used to listen to him as background for hours while studying or working on projects.

    n

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't my usual fair really, though it has become so rare for Spotify to present me with new music (that isn't verging on standard American Pop music) that it was a shock that Tidal was offering up new music in the first hour.

      I think I may give it a chance. I've been fed up with Spotify for a while, and though they are getting better, they have a way to go.

      Delete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.