02 July 2023

A Trip to Brownells in Iowa

From Professor Yamane at Gun Culture 2.0 we get a peek at Brownells. Travels with Sandy: In Search of America’s Gun Cultures in Grinnell, Iowa

Professor Yamane and his wife are on a road trip, and like Steinbeck's Travels with Charlie, he is recording his encounters with America. Or American Gun Culture anyway.

“Grinnell, Iowa” means something very different to me today than it did 15 years ago. Before I got into gun culture, it conjured images of an elite liberal arts college, Grinnell College. Since I got into gun culture, it brings to mind one of America’s largest gun companies, Brownells.

Bob Brownell founded the company in 1939 as a gunsmithing shop and by 1947 published his first catalog. For obvious reasons, I appreciate that he was a bowtie-wearing, pipe-smoking nerd.

The photos are great, and you should click thru and RTWT. But then you should be reading all of David Yamane's blog posts and watching his videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.