25 June 2023

Extended School Closures - The Gift That Keeps on Giving

And a video that is worth watching. At least some of it. Another NAEP Text Score Disappointment - WSJ

“National Assessment of Educational Progress scores decline” is a familiar story; the last installment was in May, with a report that 8th-grade U.S. history test scores hit an all-time low. The latest dispiriting data from the Nation’s Report Card is more evidence that learning loss from public-school closures won’t be easily recovered.

Math scores for 13-year-olds declined by 9 points. Reading declined by 4 points.

The math decline is the largest ever for this NAEP assessment. For the lowest-performing students, math scores were the worst since the 1970s, and reading scores were lower than the first data collection in 1971.

As for the video, I love this quote in the opening.

It remains clear that one of the long-term POLITICAL effects of the pandemic is memory loss.

That refers to the president of The American Federation of Teachers testifying about their stance on school closures.

This outcome was clear to anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together. High school students MIGHT be able to learn remotely if they are determined to do so. Elementary school students, not so much.

If I was a believer in conspiracy theories, I would say it was planned. The schools by me were opened fairly quickly. (I know because I would routinely get caught in traffic due to busses. The only traffic I ever see really.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.