06 December 2022

The Chess Rules No One Knows (or so it seems)

Because I love chess.... From Chess-dot-com: The Most Misunderstood Chess Rules.

En Passant is the rule that seems to warp most players' minds. I'm not sure why it is that unknown. (I always teach it when I mention that the pawn can move two squares on its first move.)

  • En Passant: What Just Happened?
  • Castling: What If My Rook Is Attacked?
  • Stalemate: Who Wins? Nobody?
  • Promotion: Can I Make A King?
  • Check And Checkmate: Can I Capture The King?
  • Draw By Repetition: How Many Parameters?

Draw by repetition is easy if you're playing on a computer (whether against the computer or an opponent) because the computer will catch it. It is harder to catch when playing a person over the board. Even Bobby Fischer got that wrong.

For those of us who are getting older... I find solving few chess puzzles and playing the odd game against the computers at Chess.com is better mental gymnastics than doing crossword puzzles or Wordle. Though I really find Sudoku to be my big downfall. It can suck up an awful lot of time on a cold day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.