04 June 2022

It Takes a Thief

Back in April, after a few days of short-sleeve weather, I was greeted one a morning with a snow shower. And since WXRT's Saturday Morning Flashback was covering a year I didn't find interesting, I did something I haven't done in quite some time. I started reading the music sites. In particular I turned to Pitchfork. They rated the album Labyrinthitis by Destroyer as a "Best New Album" under the Rock category.

Dan Bejar’s marvelously inscrutable songwriting reaches beyond meaning. On his most live-sounding record in years, he finds clarity when language recedes and the music takes over.

Overall I have to disagree with Pitchfork, though maybe I am just out of touch with Indie/Alternative Rock. In a world where everything is over-produced, and AutoTune is on every vocal this album is a bit odd. Still, there are a couple of songs that made me think of "Birdhouse in Your Soul" by They Might Be Giants. I can't really say why that is, but it did.

Anyway, This is "It Takes a Thief" by Destroyer from their 2022 album Labyrinthitis. I will give a few of the songs another listen eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.