03 June 2022

Good Times

A Musical Interlude for Friday afternoon...

Sam Cooke was one of the many artists who died too young. You know his music, even if you don't know his name, though how you could not know his name is beyond me. He brought us "Chain Gang" and "Twistin' the Night Away" and more. And today's song.

According to Songfacts, this was one of the last songs he recorded. He died December 11th, 1964, at the age of 33.

Gotta tell you, evenin' sun is sinkin' low
The clock on the wall say it's time to go
I got my plans, I don't know ‘bout you
I'll tell you exactly what I'm gonna do

Get in the groove and let the good time roll
I'm gonna stay here till I soothe my soul
If it take all night long
Yeah!

This is "Good Times" by Sam Cooke. It was released as a single in 1964 from the album Ain't That Good News. Both versions are slightly different, and the version we have today is the album version.

This song has been covered by several artists. The Rolling Stones recorded a version in 1965, and Journey recorded a version with The Tower of Power horn section in 1992. For a list (I'm not sure if it is complete) see Second Hand Songs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.