18 May 2022

Mars, the Bringer of War

Today's song was mentioned by Synyster Gates of Avenged Sevenfold, in a Rick Beato interview when he was discussing the writing of "Shepherd Of Fire." I had not heard "The Planets" by Holst in a very long time, not since college, at least, and maybe not since I was in high school. I thought I should listen to it again.

Considering that it was written during World War I, it sounds strangely contemporary, at least as far as symphonic music goes. It could be the soundtrack to a summer blockbuster movie. Listening to it again, it sounds like part of the soundtrack of Star Wars. I quite like it.

This is "Mars, the Bringer of War" by Gustav Holst. It is the first movement in "The Planets," which was composed between 1914 and 1917. This version is by James Levine and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra from 2006.

After I wrote this post, I tripped over a Rick Beato video: John Williams vs Gustav Holst or Star Wars Vs The Planets. In which Rick compares "Mars, The Bringer of War" and the "Main Titles Theme" from Star Wars in some detail.

Note that this is only a reaction to the interview with Synyster Gates, and not a commentary on the geopolitical situation in Europe or elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.