16 October 2021

Birdland

Since stumbling across Snarky Puppy in a random walk around the internet, I have been revisiting some of my early love of relationship with Fusion, or Jazz Fusion. The starting place is easy. Weather Report.

That isn't where Jazz Fusion started, of course. Fusion started in the late 1960s when Jazz musicians adopted both the electronic instruments and the backbeat of Rock & Roll. Fusion was already started in 1967 or 68, but really got moving in 1969 when Miles Davis released Bitches Brew. That was considerably before I would be listening to Fusion. Though I was never completely in love with the genre, it was a staple of my musician friends, and I owned a copy of the album that gave us today's song.

This is "Birdland" by Weather Report from the 1977 album Heavy Weather.

The fact that I am going to be going through a fair amount of 1970s and 1980s Fusion, means that some of it will show up here. Chick Corea, Stanly Clarke, Herbie Hancock, and more. You could even say this started with a bit of Jazz Rock from Frank Zappa at the end of last month, with "Inca Roads."

For my other favorite version of "Birdland" see this version by The Manhattan Transfer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.