04 September 2021

Shofukan

Snarky Puppy is a band I ran across recently. I should have known about them before, but as a friend of mine was telling me recently, it is hard to find new music if it isn't in a genre you are actively listening too. And Fusion has never quite been my thing. Though today's song really sounds more like Jazz to me.

I found Snarky Puppy because of the work Larnell Lewis did with the band. Or some of it anyway. Lewis is a great drummer who I stumbled across because of some non-Snarky-Puppy work he had done. When I went look for more music he was involved with, Snarky Puppy was high on the list.

One of the reviews of the We Like It Here sessions mentioned that it reminded the reviewer of the Live Evil album by Miles Davis. I haven't listened to Live Evil in a long time, but after reviewing a few songs the other day, I have to agree to a point. Though there is a more modern album it reminds me of, I just can't dredge it out of memory. I got rid of all my old vinyl when I moved aboard my boat all those years ago. So I don't have the Jazz albums to review. I guess I will have to start in on the Spotify catalog.

This song is "Shofukan" by Snarky Puppy recorded live for the 2014 DVD We Like It Here.

And by the way, this is definitely NOT ambient music to have on in the background; it requires a bit of concentration. I love this music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.