11 July 2021

Saint Francis Dam Redux

So I recently tripped over the YouTube channel of Caitlin Doughty. It's called Ask A Mortician. (Insomnia is a bitch. What can I say?)

She has a video from 2020 on the St. Francis dam failure. She says you've probably never heard of it, but it you read my blog (or you did last year, anyway) you probably have heard of it. Or read about it.

Caitlin Doughty covers more of the human impact than I did in my original post. And she is great as a YT host. She ties in the movie Chinatown, and so much more. But then she was actually able to walk the site of the dam, and visit some of the memorials for the victims.

This is the video of "The Massive LA Disaster You've Never Heard Of" from Ask a Mortician. It is half an hour, so plan accordingly. It is kind of entertaining, and strangely fascinating.

My orginal post is from a year and a half ago, or so: The Devil is in the Details – St. Francis Dam Collapse. That post includes a link to the "Lessons Learned" page from damfailures.org. (Click thru for the details.)

2 comments:

  1. If you have time watch Caitlin Doughty's 3 part series on Disney.
    '

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look for it. I only just found the channel and it is both very good, and a bit crazy. I like it.

      Delete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.