26 June 2021

Kiss from a Rose

The state of Pop music in 1994/95 was very different from the sad state that it is in today. This song was written by 1 person, not a committee. It is in 3/4 time, not 4/4. It goes through a very complex chord progression and it includes oboe and harpsichord, and also has a string section.

With all of that it was top of the Billboard 100 chart in 1995, as well as Billboard's Mainstream Top 40 Chart, Adult Top 40, and more. It charted all over Europe and Australia and it won the Grammy for "Song of the Year" in 1995. I hadn't heard it (or thought about it) in a very long time. It is here today, thanks to a Rick Beato video. What Makes This Song Great? Episode 105.

Even though this isn't the type of music I was usually listening to in 1995, I always thought this was a beautiful song. I think you will enjoy it. If you were listening to the radio in 1995, you probably heard this song. I am going to have to revisit the entire album.

I never thought there was a problem hearing the vocals, but apparently over the years there have been a few controversies. So here is a link to the lyrics, in case you can't make something out.

This song is "Kiss from a Rose" by Seal from his 1994 album Seal II. It was also part of the 1995 movie Batman Forever as part of the film's soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.