22 May 2021

Remember This When They Say "The Science is Settled"

Remember that scientists often get it wrong. Sometimes in a big way. The Silicon Graybeard: World's Oldest Manmade Quasicrystal Discovered

The rules of crystallography were determined a 100 years ago. And they couldn't be wrong. Could they?

Between 1982 and 2008, Shechtman's career had it hard. He spent much of his career being vilified and exiled as a crank. “I was thrown out of my research group. They said I brought shame on them with what I was saying.” In 2011, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the discovery of quasicrystals.

Maybe you should remember that You don't know everything.

Oh, and quasicrystals are interesting. Click thru.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.