13 March 2021

Crime Has Buckhead on Edge

Buckhead, the expensive neighborhood in Atlanta, is trying to figure out how to get out of Atlanta. Atlanta neighborhood pushes for own police force and SECESSION amid crime wave

Hard to see how the small enclave could get out of the city. Not hard to see why they want to.

Residents in a wealthy Atlanta community are trying to create their own police force as part of a push for secession as the city is rocked by a crime wave with murders up 80 percent so far this year.

And they were up in 2020 over the prior year. Atlanta’s deadliest year in decades has city on edge and demanding change.

Homicides surged 58 percent in 2020

And as for the plan to leave Atlanta...

City officials have opposed the idea to separate the wealthy, largely white neighborhood from the rest of Atlanta, which is predominantly black, arguing it would siphon away much of the city's tax base and, in turn, its budget.

Of course there is the other way that people can choose to leave Atlanta, and I suppose that will be explored next. Buckhead was expensive decades ago. I had one job interview, during my career, in Atlanta, a couple of decades ago. Even then Buckhead was insanely priced, and traffic was a mess. Now that crime is out of control, I'm glad I didn't take that job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.