10 February 2021

Do I Wanna Know?

So I was perusing the Spotify Charts again over the weekend, mostly because I tripped over the kerfuffle caused by a video of County singer Morgan Wallen, and I wanted to see how his songs were doing. This seems to be a genuine pushback against cancel culture, which I applaud, but after listening to several of his songs, I have to reiterate that I don't like Country. One of the songs was OK, and maybe I will feature it someday, but I discovered something else that made me stop and ask... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Arctic Monkeys are a UK band that is generally considered to be one of the first "internet bands." I'm not sure if that is true or not, but by 2013 they had an album that got a tremendous amount of attention. That album is AM. Today's song was a massive hit for the band off that album.

Here is what AllMusic has to say:

By distributing their homemade material on the Internet, Arctic Monkeys were able to build a sizable fan base without the help of a record label, effectively circumventing the usual road to superstardom. They continued to buck tradition by signing with Domino Records in 2005, eschewing a major-label's budget for Domino's D.I.Y. cred and hip roster (which also included Franz Ferdinand, a touchstone for the band's sound).

They are part of the Post Punk Revival from the early 21st Century. Post Punk is what the suits in the music industry style "New Wave." They hated Punk, and didn't want to market anything as Punk-related.

What evoked "WTF?" is the fact that Arctic Monkeys have two songs on the Spotify chart for 2/6/2021. Those songs are "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?" from that 2013 album, and "505" from the 2007 album Favourite Worst Nightmare. Songs from the past don't usually appear on any charts. There have been indications that the band is working on a new album, but this just made me scratch my head. Granted, they are numbers 138 and 153 in the Top 200 Chart, but still...

There is an anniversary. It has been 15 years since they released their debut album, but neither of these songs is from that album.

Anyway, this song is "Do I Wanna Know?" by Arctic Monkeys from the 2013 album AM. It is not on the Spotify Chart. It is likely to be a song you have heard, and I like it more than most songs I have heard by this group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.