11 February 2021

Chic Corea: June 12, 1941 to February 9, 2021

Chic Corea will always be associated with the Jazz Fusion band Return to Forever in my mind. He was a phenomenal keyboard player in a band where everyone was a tremendous talent. Return to Forever inlcuded Chick Corea on the keyboards, Stanley Clarke playing bass guitar, Al DiMeola playing guitar and Lenny White on the drums.

Fusion never had the success I thought it should have enjoyed, but then the early 1970s music scene in this country was all about Rock and Roll, and American Bandstand, and these songs would never have played well on American Bandstand.

He prepared a statement before his death, which was released as part of the announcement. It says, in part...

It is my hope that those who have an inkling to play, write, perform or otherwise, do so. If not for yourself then for the rest of us. It's not only that the world needs more artists, it's also just a lot of fun.

I don't know that I can pick a song that means anything to me, more than any other song. I haven't listened to Fusion in a long time, except for the occasional song, here and there.

This is "Majestic Dance" by Return to Forever, Featuring Chick Corea. It was originally on the 1976 album Romantic Warrior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.