23 August 2024

Friday Links - 23 August

A somewhat abrreviated Links post today, because of the intrusion of Real Life™ on blogging efforts. Nothing critical, just some problems with lawn equipment, but given the size of my lawn, that created a bit of a backlog. The good news is that things are back to what passes for normal in my life, in time for the weekend.

Pixy Misa is up first with the continuing insanity from Mircrosoft. Daily News Stuff 22 August 2024: Let's Not And Never Talk About It Again Edition

Microsoft is planning to try again with its obviously insane Windows "Total" Recall spyware system. (Ars Technica)

This is the feature - key to the so-called Copilot Plus platform - that takes screenshots of everything you do on your computer - passwords, bank account details, confidential emails - and puts them in a single conveniently labelled and indexed box for AI assistants and Russian/Chinese/North Korean/Iranian hackers to search for you.

Meep at Stump - Chicago is My Kind of Town to Beat Up On: No Chicago-Centric Posts in 2022

I haven’t forgotten about mortality trends, Ohio & Minnesota teachers’ pensions, and all the rest… I will be getting back to those.

But for now: let’s see why I didn’t beat up on Chicago in 2022

Gates of Vienna - Turkish Delight in Frankfurt

A Turkish culture-enricher caused some excitement the night before last at a railway station in Frankfurt when he approached a fellow Turk from behind and fired several shots at his head, killing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.