12 July 2024

Don't Bring Pepper Spray to a Gunfight

Self-defense is catching on in California, and, to be precise, it is catching on in Los Angeles. LA homeowner shoots intruder; suspect has extensive criminal record, authorities say. I think self-defense was always a thing once you got away from the deep-blue cities.

Two guys invaded a home at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon. A third guy waited in the car. I suppose they believed the home was empty. It wasn't.

There was a scuffle and one of the suspects deployed pepper spray. The homeowner armed himself with a handgun and fired several times, hitting one of the suspects.

The one guy was shot in the neck, and taken to a local hospital in critical condition. He was still in the hospital when this article was written.

The other guy ran like a rabbit, he and the 3rd guy drove away.

And I am shocked - Shocked I tell you! - that this guy had an extensive criminal background, and yet was running around causing mayhem. (OK, not shocked.)

As for the homeowner, he was not arrested and, as of Tuesday, is not facing any charges.

Neighbors were a bit shocked, and know that self-defense doesn't get the legal respect it does in other jurisdictions.

"Yeah, crazy, middle of the afternoon. Not the time you would expect it, you know, curious how it all unfolded and came to be. I hope it all goes as it should for him. Somebody protecting their property doesn't always go that way, you know, especially more so here, I think, than other places," one neighbor said.

Self-defense is a human right, and it seems to be catching on in California, even in the deep-blue cities.

3 comments:

  1. one of the suspects deployed pepper spray

    Nope. That was a Perpetrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some sympathy for reporters and news media on that front. "Alleged" is a legal shield against lawyers who want to sue everyone. "Innocent until proved guilty in a court of law" is a concept worth holding onto, even with the defamation/libel lawsuits.

      The Other McCain has a bit to say about this from time to time

      Delete
    2. Yeah, company policy,, which removes any hope of someone actually doing what is obvious.
      It's a dodge. Someone is in your house and trying to hurt you and you say
      I shot the suspect?
      No..
      It's coming out more like
      I shot the guy trying to hurt me.
      Reporting the obvious isn't Safe?
      But lie after lie is,

      If I find Alice's mirror,, I'm going in. It can't be any weirder..

      Delete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.