14 June 2024

Hollywood Is Destroying Itself

Movies are dead. Almost. For the most part. There have been three movies released recently that were generally considered to be from okay to pretty good. I haven't seen any of them, because I subscribe to the rule, "Don't give money to people who hate you," and Hollywood hates/despises (almost) everything I believe in.

The three movies are Bad Boys: Ride or Die, The Fall Guy, and Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga. Critics that I TRUST (The Critical Drinker, Nerdrotic, Alan Ng, Chris Gore, etc.) mostly liked these movies.

For example, everyone described The Fall Guy as a fun, action movie. People who saw it, liked it; it has an 86% score on Rotten Tomatoes from the verified audience. Despite that, no one went to go see it. After six weekends in release, it has earned $166.3 million at the worldwide box office. The studio gets roughly half of that, with the rest going to the theaters. Which wouldn't be bad, but they spent $125 million making the movie. That is before anything was spent on advertising.

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga is in worse shape. They had a production budget of $168 million, and have earned $145.7 million at the global box office.

Bad Boys: Ride or Die does have a chance to break even. They did spend $100 million on the movie, but in the 1st week of release it has already earned $118.6 million dollars. The studio behind this won't make a ton of money, but they MIGHT break even.

This is Eric July's video Hollywood has a Hollywood Problem. Eric is many things, a comic creator, and a musician, but mostly I follow Eric July's videos on YouTube because he is a businessman. Something that is sadly lacking in Hollywood. The Fall Guy was mostly a Romantic Comedy with a lot of stunts. You can't make money on a romantic comedy with a production budget of $125 million. I don't make movies, I only watch them, but even I know that. RomComs are something that studios USED to put up an coming, or newly arrived, star in because they are cheap and they generally make a decent return. Think You've Got Mail, or When Harry Met Sally. Do you think those movies were expensive to make?

As I've mentioned before, I used to see a lot of movies. I saw Hollywood blockbusters, even the bad ones. I watched Romantic Comedies. I even dragged friends out to see some independent films that they never would have seen otherwise. A very long time ago, I even saw foreign films. Now I watch movies on DVD from my local library, or occasionally on streaming, or not at all.

2 comments:

  1. The last movie I went to see was LOTR. Nothing of interest in years. I have expanded my collection of movies on DVD, lots of great classics. I watched Blazing Saddles last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing the same thing with DVDs and Blu-ray discs. I even have a few 4k titles even though I don't own a 4K TV or player. Yet.

      I finally got a copy of Blazing Saddles this month, after 2 tries where it was lost in shipping. Going to make some Gen Z heads explode.

      Blazing Saddles was on streaming somewhere, a few years back. Edited to death to remove anything offensive. I made my friend turn it off, and promised to get a real copy. That took some doing.

      Delete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.