11 December 2023

The Cost to Repair Electric Vehicles - Take Two

From Stoney Creek, Ontario: “I felt like I got kicked”: Ontario man told new EV battery would cost more than $50,000

Simrat Sooch of Stoney Creek, Ont., was a true believer in electric vehicles, who described his first one as “very reliable.” To trade up, he bought a pre-owned 2017 Ioniq made by Hyundai. The vehicle had already been driven 69,000 kilometres but the warranty covering the electric charging system and battery was good for 160,000 kilometres. Sooch told Global News he was confident in the purchase and figured he wouldn’t have any issues with it.

Stoney Creek, Ontario is a Canadian city about 35 miles west of Niagara Falls.

Hyundai is the 3rd largest auto in the world, behind Toyota and Volkswagen.

But a warning light came on. Technicians couldn't diagnose it, but two weeks later it stopped charging. This was about 8,000 kilometers AFTER the warranty ran out. Can you see where this is going?

After diagnostic checks, he said technicians determined the battery needed to be replaced. The quoted cost, including the battery, installation and taxes came to more than $50,000. “I felt like I got kicked in the privates.”

The dealer charged him $500 to tell him that the car was worth nothing. I wouldn't be giving them any of my future business.

1 comment:

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.