27 August 2023

One Size Does Not Fit All

You would not believe the amount of time I have spent "discussing" issues of concealed carry, about actually concealing a firearm. Most men, and some women, will say, "You should do exactly what I do, since it is the only good solution." Yeah, not so much.

Most of the discussions revolve around, "What works for you, might not work for me." I'm happy that you have something that works for you, but maybe I can't dress like I'm a photographer about to go on Safari in the wilderness." Maybe my weight might make a difference. Etc.

Probably the only "discussions" that got more heated is about which gun is best, or what gun a husband should buy for his wife. Hint: you need to pick out your own weapon, because the grip needs to fit your hand the way your shoes fit your feet. (When I was teaching NRA safety classes, guys tended to either buy what they liked - the worst example being .44 magnum snubby - or a .22 long rifle.)

Anyway, InRangeTV has video that finally addresses the fact that what works for you, might not work for me.

This is the InRangeTV video Concealed Math with Annette Evans.

5 comments:

  1. Another thing to consider beyond the fit to the hand is how easy is it to rack. Especially for people with weaker grip strength, racking can be a problem, especially on smaller guns that require tighter springs.

    I know several people that prefer the Sig Sauer P238 for both size and ease of racking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is less of a problem than people make it out to be. Well, than men make it out to be.

      The real problem is that men have so much strength in their arms, that a lot of women can't wrack a gun the same way they do. "You're doing it wrong" is a common mantra.

      I can teach most women to wrack everything up to a 1911. They won't do it the same way you do, and you will say, "You're doing it wrong." Or something to that effect.

      Actually what happens is men say, "Here, let me show you how," and do something that women, with less upper body strength can't always do.

      Delete
    2. I generally don't teach people how to shoot (and as long as people are being safe, I don't criticize how they do things.) I just had observed several women having issues and a few older people. One of the elderly ladies (late 80s) pointed out the P238.

      How do you wrack the gun when you lack grip/arm strength?

      Delete
    3. Instead of bending both elbows and trying to wrack the gun left to right, as most men do (and a lot of women), small women have better luck if they hold the gun straight out in front of them and use their shoulders to wrack the slide. It is easier if I can show it.

      Delete
    4. Always easier to show than tell, but based on your description, I think I understand. I'll try it this weekend. It sounds like the added advantage of keeping the muzzle (closer to) on target.

      Thanks for the explanation.

      Delete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.