12 June 2023

What Would You Do If You Called 911, and They Ignored You?

Are you expecting the police to Keep You Safe? They can't be bothered. Widow claims police ignored her 911 call about husband being taken hostage before he was shot dead

She called 911 and told them her husband was being held hostage. They didn't respond. They did respond when someone called to tell them there was a dead body. That is what they do. Show up after the fact and deal with victims. Or have you forgotten Uvalde, Texas already? Did all the cops, and the fancy SWAT gear in Ulvade keep anyone safe?

“The Colorado Springs Police Department and El Paso County can make all the excuses they want, but the facts are simple,” [the widow's lawyer] added. “This was a hostage situation where Qualin Campbell was begging for his life, his wife called 911, the police were less than a mile away but they never responded.

“Let’s be clear – if the police don’t respond to a hostage situation, none of us are safe.”

But that is the situation. They don't have to respond, and so a lot of the time they don't respond. This is only one example of many. Uvalde is jsut a more famous example of the same thing.

She may have a lawyer, but she doesn't have a case. The Supreme Court has ruled more than once that the cops don't have a duty to protect you.

And since I brought up Uvalde, here is a picture of the most useless people in the entire state of Texas. Useless, but fashionable.

4 comments:

  1. You know that, and I know that, but unfortunately most Americans believe that the police have a "duty" to protect them, despite the fact that SCOTUS has said in at least 2 cases that they don't - not even if you have a restraining order against someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A comment I have posted prior that still surprises some people that the SCOTUS has already ruled that "police have no duty to protect any citizen" and nope. That's why I carry a land cannon .45 under my left arm 100% everywhere I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why they are determined to disbelieve it. It violates their view of how the universe works or something. "My security is not my responsibility; the police will save me." Sending them the link to an explanation of decision (Castle Rock v Gonzales) sometimes doesn't change their mind. (Cornell Law must be lying - though the explanation at the WiKi is clearer, and they both say the same thing.)

      Delete
    2. That totally leaves out the questions of A) can you call 911 BEFORE bad things happen, and B) when seconds count, police are only minutes away. Even if they responded immediately to every call for help, they are probably 7 or 8 minutes away in suburbia. But I don't live in suburbia. Yet. (I always say that I don't live in the middle of nowhere, more like the edge of nowhere. But suburbia is working its way toward me slowly.)

      Delete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.