10 March 2023

Topol: September 9, 1935 to March 8, 2023

Chaim Topol died Wednesday in Tel Aviv after a long illness. He was known for most of his career simply as Topol. Chaim Topol, who brought Fiddler to the screen, dies at 87

You will see a number of news sources have the date as Thursday. I trust this source more than any UK or US paper.

Chaim Topol, who passed away in Israel on Wednesday, was a beloved, acclaimed Israeli actor, best known around the world for his portrayal of Tevye in the film adaptation of Fiddler on the Roof. He was 87.

I love Fiddler on the Roof in general, and this song in particular. That it is a solo sung by Topol is a bonus. If you haven't seen the movie, or the play, I can recommend both. Topol performed the roll of Tevye more than 3000 times in his life. The movie is a faithful adaptation. It avoids all the modern "effects" that Broadway has decided are necessary, and concentrates on telling a good story.

This is "If I Were a Rich Man," from the 1971 film Fiddler on the Roof, sung by Topol.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the whole family going to see this. it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have an actual list, but that's one of my favorite movies of all time. I saw that in the theater when it came out and still watch it every now and then.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.