09 March 2023

The Media Doesn't Get Why People Are Upset about Crime

From First Street Journal: Killadelphia

Don't like the carnage on the streets of the Blue Cities? You're a hater!

I suspect that Philadelphia Inquirer staff writer Stephanie Farr doesn’t normally write the crime reports, but simply drew the weekend assignment. But the City of Brotherly Love had a bloody, bloody weekend, and Miss Farr wound up being the reporter who had to write about it. Then, when I saw her Inky bio at the bottom of the article, in which she wrote, “I write about what makes Philly weird, wild, and wonderfully unique,” I found the irony inescapable. But, I must at the very least, give her props for using the Oxford comma!

Use that Oxford comma!

Her bio includes a line about defending Philadelphia from the haters who would attack its honor. But it is easy to trash Kiladelphia, because on a per-capita basis, it is one of the most dangerous cities in America. You can click thru for some details on the past weekend, and an analysis of the crime statistics.

This, Miss Farr, is what leads people to trash Philadelphia. Philly is a wonderful and historic city, founded in 1682 by William Penn.

And so the media doesn't get why law and order might be important to people living in one of our most dangerous cities. So are they hopelessly out of touch, or just plain stupid? Take your pick.

2 comments:

  1. I had to look up the definition of "Oxford Comma." It turns out I always use it, because that is what I was taught at an early age when learning grammar and sentence structure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm no lawyer, but if memory serves there was a legal case recently that turned on the use/non-use of the Oxford comma. It isn't hard to add a comma, and it isn't "extra."

      Delete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.