18 January 2023

Golden Brown by Dave Brubeck?

What happens when you take a classic Dave Brubeck number and throw it in a blender with a more modern tune? I guess that depends on the guy running the blender.

A little tribute to Dave Greenfield (keyboardist with The Stranglers who died with Covid-19 [in 2020]) and Paul Desmond (saxophonist with the Dave Brubeck quartet - the anniversary of his death is at the end of [May]). Also because I've been enjoying editing videos and recording stuff over the last couple of months.

A couple of people have asked how I made this video so here we go -
I took a clip from a 1964 live version of Take Five (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Eh...) and made the drum loop by chopping up the intro and turning it from 5/4 into the 3/4 - 4/4 groove that Golden Brown has. The upright bass sound is sequenced from Logic, and the piano part was played in using one of the piano sounds from a Nord Electro 5D. Then I played the sax part over the top (I play a King Zephyr alto and for this I used a hard rubber Yanigasawa mouthpiece rather than my usual bright Guardala). The video was then edited using the clip I'd taken the drum loop from. [From the description of the video.]

This is "Golden Brown" by Dave Brubeck and Laurence Mason.

Hat tip to Pixy Misa at Ambient Irony: Daily News Stuff 21 December 2022.

Disclaimer: Bet you didn't know Golden Brown was a Brubeck original. Unless you were reading this blog, last February.

And this is the reason I finally got around to "Take Five" recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.