15 August 2022

Amazon Prefers Dead Delivery Drivers to Legal Self-defense

It is another reason I try to avoid buying stuff from Amazon. Amazon driver recalls firing in self-defense at Middletown man with knife

Gino Grove was working his delivery route when he was approached by a guy with a knife. Well, the guy was running "full speed" at him with a knife, while yelling "Knife fight! Knife fight!" I think that qualifies as a threat.

Grove says he shot Roberts in the leg and Roberts barely reacted.

“I’m like, ‘Oh my goodness, this did not work on this man,’” Grove said. “He has a knife in his hand. I’m about to get gutted out here.”

So in order to see his family again, he shot the guy again.

“I had to fend for my life at that moment, because that guy was attacking me with a knife,” he said. “He came at me with a knife. If I didn’t have my firearm, I would not be here today. I know that for a fact. I would not be here today. My family would be planning my funeral.”

After being shot again, Christopher Roberts ran from the scene. Cops picked him up and took him to a local hospital. Roberts walked out of the hospital. Cops found him again and took him to a different hospital.

Roberts is facing charges of felony assualt. Grove is not facing charges, because Ohio is not New Jersey, and self-defense is a human-right.

As for Amazon and their preference for dead delivery personnel over live people who can defend themselves...

Grove says he has been deactivated as a driver by Amazon and, as of now, is unsure where his employment stands as a delivery driver.

This is also true of Uber, Lyft, and several of the large, national pizza chains. Self-defense is bad PR. A dead delivery driver is a chance to say that their "thoughts and prayers" go out to the grieving families. Or something.

This is truly a case of Good Guys 1, Bad Guys 0.

1 comment:

  1. Notice he has been 'deactivated', not his employment terminated.
    I think Amazon will try to make it difficult on him so he voluntary quits.

    Otherwise, he'd have good cause for wrongful termination. (Company policy abridging his 2A rights)

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.