23 July 2022

Seattle Abandoned the CHOP Zone

That is the Capitol Hill Organized Protest zone created for "racial justice" protests. Family of teen killed in CHOP zone: Seattle enabled danger - The Columbian

I think it is clear that Seattle did abandon CHOP, and anyone - like businesses - who were unlucky enough to find themselves inside of it.

Two Black teenagers were killed in June 2020 shootings amid Seattle’s racial justice protests and a new tort claim alleges that city leadership should have recognized its failures to provide legally obligated emergency services to protesters demonstrating in the Capitol Hill Organized Protest zone.

I understand the family wants to hold someone accountable, and probably also to make sure this never happens again, but, while I am not a lawyer, I don't believe that this can get past the SCOTUS decision of Castle Rock V. Gonzales. That ruling states that the police (and the state) have no duty to protect you. I would love if the mayor and whoever else told the police to stand down were to be held accountable. I just don't have faith that our system can do that anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.