18 June 2022

Why Does Tesla Make It a Puzzle to Open Doors in an Emergency?

This seems like a pretty wacky way to design a product that can kill you. Tesla Model Y Driver Kicked His Way Out After Tesla Randomly Burst Into Flames

“I literally just pulled up to the stop, put on my left sign, and then all of a sudden it said ‘Error! Error!’ And then all of a sudden I see smoking, and I’m like oh my God, what the f#@k!” said Jutha. “I couldn’t even open it; everything’s electric, so everything stopped. [The] door couldn’t open, I couldn’t put the window down, so I just said ‘Alright, I’m going to kick through it.”

This fear of being trapped in a Tesla is common. Everything, including the doors, is connected to an intricate electrical system that fails in the event of a fire. It stands to reason that the electronically controlled doors might suffer, leading to panic. Thankfully, Teslas have a (somewhat) hidden mechanical door control. Jutha couldn’t find the switch quickly enough and thus made his own exit.

In at least one model, you need to climb into the back seat to find the emergency/manual door release.

Brilliant design. NOT!

I know, this incident actually happened in May, but it was too good a story to pass up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Your comment will be visible as soon as I can get to it. Unless it is SPAM, and then it will never see the light of day.

Be Nice. Personal Attacks WILL be deleted. And I reserve the right to delete stuff that annoys me.